Weird Plumbing Term We Use to Define Our Industry
I’ve been in the plumbing industry for 21 years now and it’s like a gift that keeps on giving. Unfortunately they aren’t always good gifts but some of them are pretty funny. What if I asked you to give me a word to describe a non sanitary condition as it relates to plumbing. What would 75% of the English speaking population of the world say right off the top of there head? Unsanitary right? It would be insane to give anything different right? I mean there are synonyms but would you believe that the word INSANITARY is also a word to describe a potentially unhealthy plumbing situation. Here are some examples of “Insanitary” conditions.
- A cross connection between potable water and non potable water.
- Plumbing Fixtures that are untrapped.
- A septic field that is installed too close to the potable water supply
- A broken or improperly installed vent line that allows sewer gas to enter into living spaces.
- I hose that is threaded on to the end of a service sink faucet that has no vacuum breaker.
Those are just a few unsanitary and insanitary conditions that help define the word.
For more silly plumbing terms and phrases click here.
Its a nutty industry to be sure but it’s ours. Enjoy!