People who are worried about inefficient water flow should consider investing in the best low flow shower head available on the market today. This may sound counterintuitive, but believe it or not, these showerheads have been engineered for both water saving and exceptional shower experience.
What Is a Low Flow Shower Head
Ordinary showers are regulated by federal law to have a maximum flow rate of 2.5gpm (gallons per minute), which means that you consume 2.5 gallons of water for every minute of showering. A low flow shower head, on the other hand, usually has a maximum flow rate of 2.0gpm and can go even lower to 0.5gpm with an ultra low flow showerhead.
There are a large number available and choosing the best low flow shower head for your needs can be a tricky prospect.
That’s why we’ve compiled the six best low flow shower head models for your consideration. With our help, you’ll find the best low flow shower head for your bathroom and your unique water control needs. Each eco shower head will have its advantages, so make sure to read through this low flow shower head reviews carefully.
1. Niagara Handheld Massage Shower Head
This great massager head is one of the best low flow shower heads on the market today. The Niagara Handheld showerhead includes a non-aerating spray that decreases the amount of water temperature lost. Beyond that, it is an incredibly efficient shower sprayer that will save you up to 20 percent on your water bill. The price is also among the lowest of any of the shower heads on this list.
- A steady and efficient flow of 2.0 GPM.
- A very long hose that is flexible for many bathing situations.
- Low purchase price.
- Great spray adjustment for multiple styles.
- Mostly made out of plastic to decrease the cost.
- May leak if not properly sealed with tape.
- Sometimes suffers from low pressure.
2. Speakman Reaction Shower Head
Speakerman is well-known for their high-quality items, and this is one of their best low flow shower head choices on the market today. This particular model comes in a variety of different colors to look as handsome and well-integrated into your shower as possible. It also has a surprisingly high flow that makes it a great transition head.
- Comes in multiple GPM rates (1.5 through 2.5).
- A handsome design that creates a cool style.
- A sturdy pressure that provides an excellent water flow.
- Non-swivel head.
- Spray cannot be adjusted.
3. Delta Shower Head With H2Okinetic Technology
With a low rate of water flow and a gorgeous design, the Delta H20 Kinetic showerhead is one of the most fashionable and best low flow shower heads on the market today. It can swivel up to 360 degrees to create a full-body wash that can’t be beaten. Even better, it has a simple installation method that makes it one of the easiest shower heads to install on the market today.
- Adjustable GPM rate (1.85-2.5).
- Easy cleanup and shower holes that rarely clog.
- One of the cheapest shower heads on the market today.
- Made out of plastic, not high-quality metal.
- Only a few spray holes.
- A little too high-powered for some.
4. High Sierra 1.5 GPM
What makes the High Sierra one of the best low flow shower heads on the market today? It has a relatively small size, a handsome look, and a nice swivel ball joint. It is also one of the least expensive choices on the market today, making it a good choice for someone looking for a change. It’s also a reasonably elegant choice for someone who wants their bathroom to look great.
- Very low 1.5 GPM output rate.
- Easy-to-adjust swivel head.
- Surprisingly powerful wash power.
- Multiple color availability.
- No shower stream adjustment available.
- Can be tricky to install.
5. Aqua Elegante 6 Function Luxury Shower Head
Anyone looking for the best low flow shower head could probably rest comfortably with this choice. Made by Aqua Elegante, this item comes with six different spray settings that can gently massage your body or wash away tough soap residue. It is also relatively inexpensive and designed to break apart any mineral buildup that may occur due to hard water concerns.
- It comes with a comfortable rainfall spray setting.
- It is made from high-quality metal parts paired with sturdy plastic.
- Finds a happy medium with a 2.5 GPM spray rate.
- Plastic materials may wear down over time.
- Low pressure when compared to other heads on the list.
6. SR Sun Rise Luxury High-Pressure Rainfall Showerhead
Anyone who wants one of the best low flow shower heads on the market that also provides a rainfall rinse should try this model. While it’s not exactly the best-looking model on the market, the SR Sun Rise showerhead does create one of the gentlest and most efficient flows. Those who are looking to spend a little money should consider this choice.
- Steady 2.5 GPM fall rate.
- Gentle spray that massages the skin for maximum comfort.
- It has a stainless steel construction ensures long life.
- Large head covers a wide area quite easily.
- It comes with a filter included that protects against hard water.
- It is not a very handsome shower head.
- Low water pressure output.
- No adjustable spray settings.
- Pricier than other models on our list.
What Is a Water Saving Shower Head
A low flow shower head, also known as a water saving shower head, has a significantly lower flow rate compared to regular shower heads. As noted earlier, regular shower heads use a maximum of 2.5 gallons of water per minute of showering whereas its water-saving counterpart uses only up to 2.0gpm.
But just because it says “low flow” doesn’t necessarily mean you will always end up with an unsatisfying shower experience. On the contrary, you will find that a high-pressure low flow shower head not only lets you reduce water usage; it will also get you looking forward to your next shower.
Benefits of Using a Low Flow Shower Head
Obviously, the number one benefit of showering with a water saving shower head is an increased saving on water bills. Another is the total amount of water saved by the entire country over the years simply by adhering to the standards set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency or EPA. Buying household products like a low flow showerhead with an EPA WaterSense label is a great way to contribute to the nation’s quest for environmental preservation.
How Much Water Does a Low Flow Shower Head Save
According to the EPA, America saved over 600 billion gallons of water in 2017 alone due to the federal and local laws on water consumption. Let’s take a closer look at how water is saved in individual homes.
As mentioned earlier, a traditional showerhead has a flow rate of 2.5gpm. If you use a low flow shower head with a flow rate of 1.5gpm, you automatically save 1 gallon of water per minute of showering. This means if you take 1 10-minute shower per day per month, you get to save 300 gallons of water over a 30-day period. Imagine how much water a family of four can save if they used an ultra low flow showerhead with a flow rate of 1.5gpm.
Tips on Choosing the Right Low Flow Shower Head for Your Bathroom
With all the choicest options you can find in this review or otherwise, it all comes down to your personal needs and preferences. Water saving shower heads come in different shapes, spray patterns and performance levels. You can have a high-pressure, low flow hand-held shower that sprays water to massage your back, or a rain shower with that luxurious low flow rain shower head you see in expensive homes and hotels. You can also choose from a variety of materials and finishes to complement the overall design of your bathroom. The most popular types of finishes are polished nickel, brass, and chrome finish. It’s also important to ask your supplier about each product’s lifetime warranty information upon check out to make the most of your investment.
Final Review of the Best Low Flow Shower Head
As you can see, there are plenty of great choices for your low flow shower head needs. When considering which of these is the best low flow shower head for your home, make sure to ask yourself a few simple questions. What style do you want to create in your bathroom? How much money do you want to spend? How capable are your plumbing installation skills?
By fully understanding the answers to these questions, you can find the best low flow shower head and get it installed in your home quickly and efficiently. If necessary, call a professional plumber to help you add these items to your home. It could save you a lot of installation trouble.