In all likelihood, you won’t realize the necessity of a plunger until the need for one arises. Ergo, having a plunger on hand means you won’t have to make a potentially costly phone call to a plumber or the maintenance guy. And while the task has gotten no less desirable, there are many modern plungers that make the job easier.
We have compiled a list of what we believe to be the best toilet plungers on the market today, to help you find the best plunger to fit your needs.
What Is a Plunger?
A plunger is a kind of tool that is used to clear blockages in drains or pipes. While most commonly associated with toilets, plungers are designed to clear blockages on any kind of drain, not just that of a toilet.
Most common plungers comprise a large, bell-shaped cap made of rubber or flexible plastic on the end of a stick. This is usually what most people imagine when asked to picture a plunger in their mind’s eye.
How Do Plungers Work?
The mechanics are fairly simple. For common plungers, the cup is pushed down against the drain opening to force air down the pipe. This can also be fully pressed before contact with the drain, using negative air pressure to draw the clog back up the drain.
The intent is to loosen or break up a blockage caused by excessive material in the drain. Practically all plungers use this mechanism either by using a suction cup or by using a ‘bellows’ design instead. Some are using a dredger-style head, which is designed to piston the clog down the drain.
Where Can I Buy One?
You can find it almost anywhere; discount stores, department stores, grocery stores, hardware stores and online from retailers such as Amazon.com.
How We Reviewed
While reviewing the following products, we set out a short list of three criteria. First off, price: How much does it cost and are you getting the best value for your buck? Next, we looked at the ease of use, as something that is quick, simple and easy to use is necessary for a situation such as a stopped-up toilet or drain.
Finally, we looked at the overall appearance and design; something that is well-made and looks good will last that much longer from use.
Overall Price Range
As common household tools go, the humble plunger is, fortunately, one of the cheaper tools you can invest in. This can prevent costly repair bills and is a good thing to have nearby.
With that in mind, while the humble rubber-bell is more than satisfactory for most situations, there might be instances it is less than suited for. As a result, more specialize can cost you more.
- Set stores Toilet Brush and Plunger in one convenient canister with a compact footprint ideal for narrow spaces
- Canister doors pop open and stay open when Brush or Plunger are removed; doors close automatically when Brush or Plunger...
- Brush features tapered head with durable bristles for thorough cleaning
The OXO Good Grips Hideaway Set is an all-in-one toilet maintenance kit. A combination storage base houses both a rubber suction cup plunger and a toilet brush. The base has a small overall footprint that allows it to fit off to the side of a toilet or in an out-of-the-way corner.
The base features canister doors that stay open when the compartment is empty and close when the plunger or brush are returned. Overall, the Hideaway Set is the best for the home bathroom on this list.
- Unique 4-step heavy duty graduated suction cup fits securely in all different types and sizes of toilet drain openings
- Light weight, rustproof, and mold resistant aluminum handle with peg hole for convenient hanging
- Super pliable and durable rubber cup creates an ultra tight seal around the drain from all angles for commercial or...
This Toilet Plunger from Neiko is one of the best on this list for the home bathroom. Despite the humble intention of the product, the plunger is still solidly designed. Its industrial-strength rubber suction cup is tough yet pliable, and the sturdy aluminum handle is both rustproof and lightweight.
The design allows it to work from any angle, clearing even the toughest obstructions with ease. And with a modest price tag, this is a great addition to the home.
- The Johnny Jolter Professional Power Plunger uses water, not air to clear any clogged toilet fast. Made from...
- Easy to disassemble/reassemble for easy maintenance to ensure many years of use
- The Johnny Jolter is a Professional tool designed to do a Professional job fast. Feel the Power.
The Johnny Jolter Plunger is the best on this list regarding product design. The Johnny Jolter harnesses the power of water using its unique pumping mechanism to clear even the toughest clogs and blockages with a single push.
It’s a great product to use if you’re concerned about not making a mess, or spending an excessive amount of time clearing a blockage. If your trusty suction-cup plunger is having a hard time breaking a clog, this unique plunger might just make for a good backup.
- POWERFUL PLUNGE: This toilet plunger is the first plunger designed to fit old & new HET toilet bowls & the beehive shape...
- UNCLOG TOILETS: Heavy duty bathroom plunger perfectly fits in toilet bowl outlets to create the perfect plunge for all...
- THE UNVERSAL PLUNGER is made of durable rubber that doesn't mark up your toilet bowl. Unlike old standard toilet...
If you are looking for a one-size-fits-all plunger, then the Beehive is the best plunger for you. The Beehive’s suction cup features a unique tapered lip that allows it to form a tight seal and plunge just about any toilet you can use it on.
The T-shaped handle is also unique, giving you more flexibility regarding holding the plunger and using it in tight spaces. The rubber of the suction cup is also tough and non-marking. Overall, a good plunger worth having if you have several toilets of different sizes.
- A premium plunger with a ventilated storage caddy for quick and hygienic drying
- Features a custom flange that extends for a better seal when unclogging drains
- The strong plunger rubber can handle the toughest jobs and the powerful steel handle won't break or rust
For cleaning the home and kitchen, Libman is a brand name that many people stand by. While this is from Libman lacks the bells and whistles of more expensive plungers, it covers the basics perfectly.
It has a sturdy metal handle that won’t bend or buckle under stress and a heavy-duty rubber suction cup that works well at getting into tough-to-reach places and at most angles. It might be the best plunger on this list if you’re looking for simplicity.
- 5-Year Warranty - We use the best materials and solid engineering so our products will last in tough environments like...
- Drip-Free Design: A unique magnetic collar secures the cover to the plunger's stainless-steel rod so you can pick them...
- Easy to Detach: The cover's large opening makes the plunger easy to detach; It also hides the plunger discreetly out of...
This is from Simplehuman is one of the best plungers on this list to choose from if you are looking for something sleek and stylish to put in your bathroom. Featuring a stainless steel handle, This is also rustproof.
The included holder features a unique magnetic clip that locks the plunger into the holder after use and prevents it from leaking, something that can irritate pretty much anyone. The suction cup also has a tapered shape which allows it to fit most toilets easily: a good choice for the modern bathroom.
It should go without saying you don’t need much for a good household plunger. While some have countless little features or a high-quality construction, there is still something to be said about the discount. While this model from Master Plumber doesn’t have the extravagant chromed exterior or fancy designs of some others, it still does its job and does it well.
It has a simple handle made from molded plastic, a flanged suction cup made from sturdy rubber, and even comes with a drip-catching stand that opens and closes automatically — one of the best on this list concerning function.
- SAVE SPACE - At 21" in height it fits easily in most cabinets or under most sinks.
- BETTER PERFORMANCE - Large Extended Cup for Best Pressure, Fit, and Suction
- BETTER SANITATION - Plastic Handle is Easier to Clean than Wooden Handles
At a glance, this is visually interesting: A sturdy-looking handle and a distinct suction cup with a tapered flange. The handle and suction cup can also easily unscrew from one another, making it easy to clean. The suction cup’s flange is both flexible and sturdy and ensures a tight seal will form on most brands of toilets.
Another thing worth mentioning is a bizarre inclusion in the box: “How to Poop Like a Pro: A Guide to Healthy Bowel Movements.” Also, we suspect that the product name might be a pun or an in-joke amongst janitors. Make of that what you will.
This has a unique bellows-style design, the G.T. Water Products Master is a solid, heavy-duty. It features an extended bellows design that allows to create greater downward pressure than other similarly priced competitors, so you can get rid of clogs quickly and with minimal effort on your part.
With up to 162 cubic inches of internal volume to displace, it can dislodge and displace just about anything trapped in a pipe or drain — definitely the best on this list for a professional plumber.
- Natural Material: At Samshow, it's important for us to use materials that are safe to be around the whole family. For...
- Easy To Use: Water impact toilet, direct push and pull out the toilet plunger
- Effectively Dredge and Clean: Double role, Dredge the toilet while cleaning the toilet wall, spiral design, both clean...
As brands go, Samshow is associated with safety and reliability. This is from Samshow is no exception to that rule. Made from ABS plastic and stainless steel, their design is as sturdy and durable as it is visually unique.
While the stainless steel makes it resistant to rust and corrosion, it’s the unique shape of the head that makes it stand out: It foregoes the suction cup design of most other plungers in favor of a dredger design.
By inserting the dredger head down the drain, you can force the clog down the pipe using direct contact, rather than water pressure in a traditional plunger. While we feel that this might not be a replacement for the classic plunger, it makes for a good backup for breaking through those nasty and hard-to-clear clogs.
As toilet plungers go, it’s not every day you consider having to invest in one. Usually, that day comes when your toilet backs up, which can be stressful. While inexpensive options such as the Get Bats Out exist, there are other, more stylish options, such as the one from Neiko. No matter what you choose, we hope this list comes in handy for helping you to suit your needs.
Featured Image via Pixabay