Do You Have What It Takes to Become a Plumber?
Most of the states in the country are short of experienced and licensed plumbers. This is mainly due to the perception of the youngsters that plumbing is for those who have a strong physical body and has nothing to do with mental skills. This wrong perception about the plumbing profession prevents most people from following such career.
The different skill sets that form the basis for becoming a great plumber include:
1. Capability to solve problems quickly and efficiently using logical reasoning.
2. A great natural ability for problem solving techniques.
3. Capability to work with different sets of people with different personality traits.
4. Willingness to take up tasks in difficult working conditions.
If anyone feels that they have the right combination of physical ability and mental aptitude to become a good plumber, they could start searching for the right type of Vocational training schools in their state. Some states also have trade schools in addition to the vocational schools. While choosing a particular trade school, one has to ensure that the school satisfies certain requirements.
1. The apprentice training program offered by the school should cover all the aspects of plumbing.
2. On the job training should be available as part of the program.
4. The school should have connections with plumbing contracting companies and government agencies.
The Apprentice course should essentially include some of the important aspects related to plumbing including the codes that are used in the plumbing industry, understanding the blue prints, drafting skills and mathematics.
Well established plumbing companies in different states offer apprenticeship programs. These companies may not offer an attractive pay, but it would act as an excellent spring board for anyone to achieve greater success in their plumbing careers. In addition to the companies, there are also unions in the state that provide apprenticeship programs. The unions in different states offer on the job training programs and after completing this program, one would be able to get good plumbing jobs.
Plumbing Training Requirements
Joining a union sponsored apprentice program is not that simple and easy. It would take four to five years for anyone to complete the apprenticeship training, and at the end of the five year period, one can take a trade license test that is conducted by the union. On top of that, there are also tests that are regulated by the states.