I’d like to take a second to give a shout out to theplumbinginfo.com’s latest contributor Mr. Kreg Atterberry. Kreg is a small business marketing expert. Kreg is the marketing director for Black Mountain Plumbing. Black Mountain Plumbing is operated by Mr. Scott Ferrell and they are a premier plumbing contracting company. Please do not hesitate to call them for your plumbing needs in the San Diego area.
Stay tuned for small business marketing tips from Kreg Atterberry.
Spring is Prime Time for Plumbing Check-ups and Repairs
Spring is finally here and it’s time to make some quick checks around the house .. Here are some quick and immediate plumbing tips for you to consider as the weather starts to warm.
By checking the bathroom, kitchen, appliances, equipment and more common areas, both within and outside the home, you can be prepared and help prevent any plumbing problems that occur. Just think of it as an extension of your spring cleaning project!
Check your drains, gutters and downspouts – which should be clear and free of debris to ensure proper operation. Many regions of the country experience a large amount of rainfall this time of year and you want to make sure you’re ready. If you let the debris build up, gutters and drains can clog, causing water damage, leakage and mold growth – not something you want to deal with!
Make sure your plumbing pipes and vents are clear of bird nests, leaves, sticks etc.
Check Your Hose Bib in the Spring
Check out the faucet for leaks – this is especially common in colder climates where hoses have been left on the hose bib for the winter. If the water supply pipe has frozen the once frozen pipe can be expanded and may have cracked. This pipe will leak and should be replaced as soon as possible by your local plumber, before water damage can occur.
Stop Flooding Check Your Sump Pump for Proper Function
The most important thing you can do to keep your plumbing system safe this spring is to make sure your sump pump is primed and ready for some hard work. If you have not seen to your sump pump (do not worry – you probably are not the only one), test it by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The pump should kick on in a few seconds, allow the flow of water and then turn itself off automatically. If it does not do it, call your local plumber and have the sump pump seen first hand – before it completely burns out.
Other Plumbing Repair Tips
- Check the faucet in the kitchen and bathroom for leaks. The improvements will help save water and money.
- Make sure you have your filters on each drain. This is to prevent hair, soap and other substances that may blockyour drains.
- Check your toilet for leaks. A fast and inexpensive way to do this is to put a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank. If there is a leak, the food color will end up in the bowl within half an hour. While you’re at it, check out the bowl for any cracks or leaks.
- Check your toilets to make sure they are flushing correctly. If you must hold or shake the handle, you need to replace the parts of the toilet which are responsible for flushing. They do not cost much and in fact will save you money on your water bill.
- Check your water supply valve by turning on and off occasionally. This will prevent them from sticking.
- Finally, clean your shower head with vinegar to remove mineral deposits that can clog. I know most people don’t know this little trick of the trade. Take a Zip Loc bag and fill it with white vinegar. Place the Zip Loc bag on the shower head in place and wrap the bag with a few heavy rubber bands securing the bag to the shower head. Leave for 24 hrs and the mineral deposits should breakdown leaving your shower clean as a whistle.
Completing this inspection now will prepare your home for the heavy rains of spring and will help you discover sooner and not later any damages caused by a long, cold winter.
Kreg Atterberry specializes in marketing for plumbing companies and other small businesses. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit his web site http://www.successful-small-business-marketing.com.
Kreg AtterberryMarketing DirectorBlack Mountain Plumbing Inc858-536-4161858-240-6730 Directhttp://blackmountainplumbing.com//www.sandiegoplumbingtips.com