We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

That brings us to the second part of our toilet seat blow out. We thought we would give you a list of terms used in describing different parts of a toilet seat. Use these terms freely when talking to your local plumbing technician, they’ll be amazed by your knowledge of toilet seats. We will also explain what has changed in the world of toilet seats. You’ll be surprised at the technology and innovation that has gone into designing and manufacturing todays thrones.

Toilet Seat Terms

  • BAR-TYPE HINGE – This type of hinge is almost non existent however it consists of a bar or tube on which the exposed hinge posts hang down. The seat and cover pivot on the bar when lifted or lowered.
  • Toilet seatBUMPERS – These are located on the underside of the toilet seat and on the underside of the lid. They are used to keep the seat off the china bowl and to separate the seat from the cover. Bumpers used to be made of rubber but now are made of plastic molded into the lid and seat. The smooth plastic is naturally antimicrobial and will not rot or deteriorate.
  • CONCEALED HINGE – incorporates a set of hinge posts and pintles that are built into the seat hiding the hinges as opposed to a bar type which is entirely exposed. Please note toilet seats are made with concealed hinges….impress your plumber friend by busting out old plumbing terms it’s super fun.
  • CONTOURED OR SADDLE SEAT – a toilet seat that is usually plastic that is more form fitting for better comfort. Trust me they rock.
  • COVER – The lid part of a complete toilet seat.
  • ELONGATED SEAT – A seat designed to fit on an elongated toilet.
  • EXTENDED BACK SEAT/COVER – a seat and cover that when installed covers the entire top edge of the toilet even with the hinges. It covers the back of the china bowl that is usually exposed by a standard seat and cover.
  • EXTERNAL CHECK HINGE – Mostly used in commercial/industrial and institutional applications, this type of hinge allows the seat to be raised 11 degrees beyond the vertical position. Because the seat stops it won’t hit the flush valve and potentially crack.
  • FULL COVER – A cover or lid that extends to the edge of the seat when closed forming a flush edge.
  • HINGE POST – The part of the seat that attaches the seat to the toilet bowl. It’s “hinge” also allows the seat and cover to rise up and down after the seat is installed.
  • KRALASTIC NUT OR TOILET SEAT NUT – Kralastic plastic was used to replace metal nuts and rubber washers on toilet seats. I hesitate to use the term to describe the nuts because there are other plastics being used. A plumbing supply house will know what you’re talking about if you use this term.
  • LAY BACK – the term used to describe the amount or degree the seat and or cover go back beyond the vertical when raised. If you have too little lay back the seat may not stay in the raised position.  I don’t think I have to go into too much detail as to why this could be a bad thing. Ask any guy that has had a seat fall in the middle of the night. Think about it.
  • OFF SET HINGE – this is another dated term but it’s worth noting. This type of hinge pushes the seat forward from the post holes letting the seat lean back farther from the vertical. This prevents the seat and cover from falling when it’s in the raised position.
  • PINTLE – part of the hinge that allow the seat to open and close from a vertical to a horizontal position. Material used to manufacture pintles are plastic, brass and stainless steel.
  • POST STUD – the threaded bolt or stud that is inserted into the bolt holes or punchings and a nut is screwed on underneath to attach the seat to the bowl.
  • ROUND SEAT – this seat is designed for a regular round front bowls. I hate to say these are normal bowl but they are the most popular type of bowl and seat in the world.
  • Toilet seatSEAT – I know this is an easy one but anyway it’s the part you sit on. It can be open front (cut-out) or closed front.
  • SELF SUSTAINING CHECK HINGE – A seat that can stay firmly in place in any open position. These are ideal in hospitals or physical therapy applications.
  • SHEET COVERED SEAT – a seat that has a molded wood core and is covered by nitrate sheeting.
  • SLOW CLOSE – It’s pretty self explanatory. The seat and cover close slowly with just a gentle touch of your hand. Please see Lay Back.
  • SQUARE BACK SEAT – a seat and/or cover that is straight across the back. If by chance you still have a seat with a bar type hinge it’s a square back seat.
  • TAILBACK – the person that receives the hand off in the game of………………….wait……sorry I can’t wait for football season to start. The very back portion of the seat and cover.
  • TELESCOPIC COVER – a cover that has an overlapping edge that hides the seat when the cover is down. Basically the seat fits inside the cover.
  • ANTI-MICROBIAL – Plumbing products including toilet seats have been offered and manufactured for a few years now. In the case of toilet seats the plastic or wood is treated with Dura Guard® or SaniGuard®. These products retard the growth of many types of mold, germs and bacteria. Guess what? These products work and work well. Check out the link below. www.saniguardalliance.com/fck_uploads/ICTJune08.pdf
  • FIRE RETARDANT SEATS – These are pretty new to the market but these seat are treated with a fire retardant.

Well we hope this help in your quest for the perfect seat. Please follow us in Part 3 of Know What You’re Sitting On where I finally get to the new stuff in toilet seat comfort.

Pin It on Pinterest